Robertson House Rotorua

Rotorua is New Zealand's oldest resort and premiere centre for geothermal activity.
Rotorua is renowned for being New Zealand's most popular tourist location.

Robertson House - B & B
70 Pererika Street, Rotorua
New Zealand
T: ++64 (07) 343 7559
E: robhouseroto@gmail.com


The History of Robertson House

The house was built for Edwin Robertson, who was considered to be the biggest private employer in the area during the early 1900s.

He ran a coaching company which had, by 1903, taken over almost all coaching runs and mail services to and from Rotorua. He apparently had been freighting with packhorses since the age of 12. Robertson House

The house was originally built on 17 acres of land. Building began in 1903 and was completed by 1905. Robertson sold the house quickly and it was then owned by the Johnson family for approximately 30 years.

During the 1930s it was used as a boarding house for students going to Rotorua District High school (across the road from the house), before passing into private hands.

The building is significant as a good example of the Victorian Bay Villa.

It retains most of the original features of this style, including Union Jack balustrades and intricate fretwork decorations around the verandah posts, a hood and more fretwork over the bay windows, a finial on the gable front, brackets under the eaves and two tall corbelled brick chimneys.